Position: Foster Parent – Competition 2021-28
Conditions: Full-Time Permanent
Department: Therapeutic Foster Care
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The Shawenim Abinoojii Therapeutic Foster Care Program requires a caring and nurturing individual or couple to provide a long-term, stable home environment at a home owned by the organization. This position requires training, education and experience in the field of child and child care and foster care. The candidate(s) must approach this role from a place of empathy and kindness, with knowledge of Indigenous culture and history. Candidates with knowledge of Anishinaabe family systems and approaches to wellness are strongly encouraged to apply. The ability to speak Anishinaabe is an asset. The successful candidate(s) will provide Foster Care services in a home owned and managed by Shawenim Abinoojii Inc.
• Provide the day-to-day primary responsibilities with caring for the child; this includes ensuring medical, physical, emotional, cultural and educational needs are met.
• Maintain expenditures related to child and home, maintain a safe and welcoming home environment, provide appropriate clothing and complete clothing and adhere to Foster Care regulations and the maintenance guidelines.
• Respond to incidents and concerns from a trauma-informed perspective.
• Utilize a therapeutic approach to supporting wellness.
• Provide a nurturing and structured environment with positive attachment caregiving.
• Be a healthy role model and source of guidance for the development of daily life and social skills.
• Support the child in attendance of medical appointments, therapeutic resources, counseling, or other appointments as required.
• Participate in the assessment and case planning for the short and long-term care plans for the child.
• Facilitate family and community connection by working alongside family and community in meeting case planning objectives and maintaining regularly scheduled visits.
• Maintain clear and concise file recordings and reports and provide to supervisor on a scheduled basis and provide incident reports as necessary.
• Communicate with support team, supervisor, and agency workers in a professional and cooperative manner.
• Attend all requisite training provided by, or offered through, Shawenim Abinoojii.
• Experience providing foster care services for children and child.
• Excellent communication and team-work skills.
• Strong organizational, and time-management skills.
• Ability to speak Anishinaabe is preferred and considered an asset.
• Expanded knowledge and skill base working with various social, psychological and physical health needs.
• Must possess a valid Manitoba driver’s license and have access to a vehicle.
• Must have a satisfactory Criminal Record (vulnerable Sector Check), Child Abuse Registry Check and Prior Contact Check are mandatory.
• Foster Parents are required to live in the home and provide a long-term stable family environment.
• Support Workers and Respite breaks will be included on a scheduled basis.
How to Apply: Send resume, cover and Quote Competition # to:
FAX: (204) 949-9413
WE THANK ALL WHO APPLY HOWEVER ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO INTERNAL CANDIDATES, SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY MEMBERS AND SELF-DECLARED CANDIDATES (INDIGENIOUS, INUIT OR METIS).