Position: Transitional Housing Coordinator – Competition 2021-27R
Condition: Full-Time Permanent
Department: Community Specialized Homes
Location: Little Grand Rapids, MB
Closing Date: May 24, 2021
OVERVIEW: The Transitional Housing Coordinator provides case management support to Expectant Parents and Families living in and transitioning out of the Little Grand Rapids Family Transitional Centre. The key objective of this role is to support families in their journeys to expand their personal capacity, successfully supporting families to achieve independence from the child welfare system. This position will be based in Little Grand Rapids First Nation. A 10-day in/4-day out rotating schedule may be considered.
- Manage a caseload of up to 6 parents who are tenants and program participants.
- Screen referrals and intake potential candidates to the transitional home; complete orientation for those accepted to the program.
- Utilizing program tools, conduct goal setting and life skill assessments with all tenants.
- Conduct weekly meetings/check ins with each tenant to implement, review and update goals.
- Refer to and liaise with appropriate resources; advocate with families when required.
- Collaborate with program participant supports in order to develop and provide comprehensive supports based on identified needs.
- Provide written reports and work closely with SECFS for youth in care.
- Maintain youth files by completing case logs, keeping copies of critical information, and filing information.
- Attend meetings/appointments with parents when appropriate; empower parents to access resources independently.
- Conduct unit inspections and encourage tenant participation in household requirements.
- Assign Support Workers to provide follow-up support to program participants who have transitioned into independent housing.
- Intervene in crisis situations as they arise in a calm and effective manner.
- Collaborate with other Shawenim Abinoojii staff and community-based resources to develop programming calendars.
- Facilitate and/or coordinate programming for participants in the program; document attendance and complete workshop reports.
- Recommend support staff schedules, in collaboration with the Supervisor.
- Participate in team meetings & attend training as required.
- Satisfactory Child Abuse, Vulnerable Persons check and Criminal records check.
- Valid MB class 5 Drivers license or ability/willingness to obtain; access to a vehicle is an asset.
- Completion of post-secondary training in human services field; combination of education, previous work experience, lived experience and training will be considered.
Transitional Housing Coordinator – Competition 2021-27 Page 2 of 2
- Understanding of how systems such as EIA, CFS, CLDS and other functions; ability to support youth in navigating systems.
- ASIST, NVCI, First Aid CPR, and other related trainings considered an asset. • Demonstrate knowledge and/or understanding of Indigenous perspectives, First Nations culture and traditional philosophies. • Ability to work with addictions, mental illness and trauma from a strengths-based perspective. • Strong knowledge of Community resources.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop effective working relationships.
- Experience with child welfare and/or youth aging out of care.
- Knowledge of community resources and ability to connect Youth in Care to a variety of resources.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with excellent documentation skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to speak Anishinaabe an asset.
How to Apply: Send cover letter, resume and Quote Competition # to:
FAX: (204) 949-9413
WE THANK ALL WHO APPLY HOWEVER ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO INTERNAL CANDIDATES, SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY MEMBERS AND SELF-DECLARED CANDIDATES (INDIGENIOUS, INUIT OR METIS).