Position: Family Support Workers - Competition #2021-31
Department: Support Work Program
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
OVERVIEW: Shawenim Abinoojii (Ojibway meaning “Nurturing Our Children”) is designed to be a comprehensive resource of treatment services for Southeast Child and Family Services who values families and children.
Shawenim Abinoojii Inc provides “holistic” quality treatment and educational services that promote the emotional, physical, social, mental, behavioral, and spiritual development for children, adolescents, and their families. Shawenim Abinoojii Inc is a partner to a “Collaborative Wellness Team Approach” that ensures meeting the diverse needs of youth and families.
The Family Support Worker will provide supports to families and their children. The Family Support Worker will implement case plans and provide intervention strategies that will assist in preventing children from coming into the care of Child and Family Services. The Family Support Worker will connect families to necessary resources, assist in developing parenting skills, help parents build healthy home environments, and will work collaboratively with families and agencies to set goals and coordinate service delivery to meet identified needs.
COMPENSATION: $18.00 per hour
SERVICE KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Incumbent must be articulate with organizational skills; exercises good judgment and make appropriate decisions and performs with minimal direction.
• Analyzes situations accurately and adopts an effective course of action.
• Works to maintain high level of discretion required when dealing in confidential matters; maintains confidentiality of privileged information.
• Setting schedules and managing competing priorities.
• Documents and reports on observations and progress on goals.
• Demonstrate the ability to work within the policies, procedures and the vision, mission, and core values of Shawenim Abinoojii Inc.
Work experience and abilities:
- Must have a valid class 5 driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- Must have satisfactory Criminal Record (vulnerable Sector Check), Child Abuse Registry Check, and Prior Contact Check are conditions of employment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of substance abuse, family violence, child abuse/neglect and understanding of family dynamics.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of child development, theory, and practice.
- Experience working with families from a strength-based, solution focused perspective.
- Experience in finding and accessing community resources that would benefit families.
- Experience working alongside families in meeting case planning goals.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with community resources, collateral agencies, and schools to set goals and coordinate service delivery to meet identified needs.
The incumbent must have knowledge of:
- The organization’s mission and values.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professionalism.
- Good oral and written ability.
- Has a good knowledge of the Anishinaabe culture and issues affecting our children, families, and communities.
- Knowledge of the Manitoba Child & Family Services Act is an asset but not necessary.
WORK SCHEDULE: Hours will be assigned based on the needs of the children and families.
How to Apply: Send resume, cover letter and Quote Competition # to:
FAX: (204) 949-9413
WE THANK ALL WHO APPLY HOWEVER ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED. PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO INTERNAL CANDIDATES, SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY MEMBERS AND SELF-DECLARED CANDIDATES (INDIGENIOUS, INUIT OR METIS).